- Set Instant Pot on SAUTE setting and heat coconut oil. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves, stir and cook for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Add onions, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, cinnamon stick, green chilli, and a pinch of salt, sauté for about 2-3 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the lentils and fry till they have a glossy coat. Add water and salt, stir ingredients together.
- Cancel the SAUTE setting. Close the lid and set the vent to SEALING. Select the PRESSURE setting and set the cooking time for 5 minutes at high. When the cooking program ends, quickly release all the steam.
- Remove the lid and set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Add the coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes as the dhal continues to thicken.
- Serve with rice or roti bread on the side.